Here’s the route so far! Aside from the gap between Black Rock City, NV and Steamboat Springs, CO the wheels did not leave the ground from Prudhoe Bay to the Southern tip of Baja. Small gaps are just Garmin malfunctions. Scroll down to read a small description of highlights.
Stage 1: Alaska to Argentina
A. Getting to the Arctic Ocean (Prudhoe Bay):
– I rode out of Seattle with my good friend Merlin up to Bellingham, WA.
– Took the Alaska Ferry up to Whittier (just outside Anchorage). Got to ride some trails in Ketchikan, Juneau and Yakutat.
– Got taken to the Kenai Peninsula for some mountain biking trails around there.
– Rode from Anchorage to Fairbanks via Denali National Park for a few days.
– Hitched a ride on a tractor trailer for the last 500 miles up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay.
B. Riding through Alaska and Canada:
– Rode the Dalton Highway from Prudhoe back to Fairbanks.
– Rode the Top of the World Highway out of Tok to Dawson City.
– Rode the Klondike Highway to Whitehorse where I got to hit some amazing single track for a few days and compete in a 24 hour mountain bike race: 24 Hours of Light (we weren’t allowed to use lights because it never got dark!)
– Crossed the Yukon, continued South through BC on the Stewart-Cassiar Highway to St. George.
– Took the Yellowhead Highway to Jasper
– Rode the Icefields Parkway to Banff
– Hit the Canada section of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) through the Flathead (North of Glacier National Park in the US)
C. Riding through the USA:
– Followed the Tour Divide route with various detours through Montana to Jackson Wyoming.
– Took a short, 750 mile detour from Jackson, WY to Burning Man near Reno, NV to see my Sister for her 40th birthday.
– Hitched back to Steamboat Springs (my only time transporting the bike by vehicle since Prudhoe Bay)
– Continued on the CDT to Silverthorne, CO
– Hopped on the Colorado Trail from outside Silverthorne to Buena Vista.
– Cut off the Colorado Trail to visit friends in Crested Butte
– Wound around the Rockies for a couple of weeks.
– Continued on the Colorado Trail to finish in Durango
– Back on trail to hop the saddle into Telluride
– Rode the road up to Grand Junction to catch the Kokopelli Trail to Moab
– Hit single track in Moab for a couple weeks
– Lockhart Basin, Needles, Lake Powell and the Burr Trail to Grand Staircase Escalante
– Big 5 national parks around Utah: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion.
– Hiked across the Grand Canyon to start the Arizona Trail South towards Phoenix via Flagstaff and Sedona.
– Frame failure on the Coconino 250 route toward Prescott. Diversion into town for a fix and reroute to the Senator Highway.
– Black Canyon Trail into Cave Creek.
– Arizona Trail from Phoenix to Tucson
– Camino del Diablo toward the Mexican border crossing near Yuma, AZ.
D. Riding through Mexico and beyond…
– Down HWY 5 in Baja through San Felipe, Puertecitos, Gonzaga Bay and Coco’s Corner.
– Bahia de los Angeles and backcountry routing back up to Viscaino.
– Pavement through San Isidro to Mulege.
– Dirt routing through La Purisima to San Juanico and back through Comondú to Loreto
– Agua Verde and hidden road back up to Constitución.
– Back roads into La Paz and over the hills through Ventana, Los Barriles, Cabo Pulmo and Los Frailes
– Over the big mountains to Todos Santos, back to La Paz.
– Alternate back route to San Jose del Cabo to catch a flight to Boston for a family emergency
– Flew back to Mazatlan.
– Mazatlan to Durango via the Libre
– Durango to Zacatecas on lots of dirt.
– Zacatecas over mountains to Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende.
– SMA to Toluca to swim in Lago del Sol in the caldera of Nevado de Toluca at about 14,000 feet
– Off-road route around Mexico City to Popocateptl, La Malinche, and Pico de Orizaba.
– Diversion North to Xalapa to play some drums with people there.
– Mountain route South to Oaxaca.
After that, anything goes, but I love the idea of riding from South Africa up to Norway, then cutting East through Asia and Indonesia to Australia…